PEDESTRIAN AREA – the motor vehicle communications divide it into eight subzones, each one has its specific functions and type of relaxation.
1. THE CLOCK ZONE – situated in the highest part of the pedestrian area, 406 square meters in total. The zone accent falls on its centre – a round ground with different types of pavements and a sun dial sculpture on a grass environment. Silent relaxation and a beautiful view to all the other complex zones.
2. THE COFFEE LOUNGE ZONE– The displacement of the zone is solved by numerous steps, the space between the two buildings remains at one level and looks like a small square. The lawns have support walls and grass inclinations. The structure of the main pedestrian passage at the square area offers rotation of the pavement axis aiming at pace reduction and focusing the sight on the centre where is the location of a water area with a fountain.
This role is accomplished by minor lanes that link the single nooks in the lawns. In the Eastern part of the zone are situated playgrounds for children with different equipment according to their age difference (0-3, 3-6, 6-10 years old).
3. THE ART ZONE - situated next to the VIP houses, it consists of 2112 square meters. The title of this zone is defined by the idea that it could be turned into an art centre of the whole complex and it pre-defines the structure of the lane network and the vegetation. The geometric appearance of all the park components is influenced by their role, namely – a background for the permanent and the seasonal expositions of sculptures and paintings. There are two squares, located in the highest and in the lowest parts that meet the visitors and introduce them into the zone. There are trees in the pavement raster, aiming at restructuring the space in a human scale.
4. and 7. THE BOTANICAL NOOK ZONES – Parts I and II - the structure of the two zones can be distinguished by its landscape character, the main lane looks like a wave resembling a meandering river, made of pavement like a little tease to the name of the whole complex. There are no support walls; the displacement is solved by an inclination that has a form closer to nature. The attraction to be offered by both zones is the exposition of various plans from various climatic areas, forms, varieties.
5. THE AMPHITHEATRE ZONE - the zone is situated in the very centre of the pedestrian area, 1457 square meters in total. It borders the road for vehicles that closes it in a curve that makes a prerequisite together with the displacement in the steeper part for designing a natural green amphitheatre – with green inclinations under the cover of the trees. The improvised stage is made of wooden planking, while additional technical facilities will create the setting for definite media and multimedia events. The second part of the zone includes an axis made of three squares – as a response and a reference to such squares, situated in the Art zone – perpendicular logical backbone of the structure. The play of bulk objects enriches the solution and shapes a strong principal axis – a small coffee lounge in the first square – a building above the ground, a chess-board in the open air – at the ground level in the second square and sinking steps – centre accent platforms – a decorative tree in the third square. The places to sit are open and for common use, sharing the playing character of the elements. In the third part, separated by a supporting wall will be located a lawn for a playground and relaxation in the open air, and it is the only one of its kind in the whole pedestrian zone.
6. THE WATER AND LIGHT ZONE - the straight axis of the main lane rotates about a round fountain that is used as an end of the structure. The night lights and water circulation represent an attractive point of this zone. As an echo of the fountain round shape – the displacement in front of it is solved by a grass inclination with a curve thus ending the area.
7. THE VIP CLUB ZONE - The VIP club building with a restricted access defines the structure of this zone. It is separated by a water mirror with a cascade from the main pedestrian passage which creates the feeling as if the building flows in the water. The Japanese garden style can be found in the club closed type garden – calm water, a bridge, a wooden terrace, and stone pathways. In the centre of the zone – the main lane offers a variety of pavements, as a prerequisite for a change in the passage axis. In order to shape the square area, a winter symbol is located in the centre – a high Christmas tree. The main lane connects the pedestrian area to the sport complex.
Based upon the town structure regulations the road arteries are designed to facilitate to the maximum all the inhabitants with a comfortable accessibility and ease to reach the complex. The approach to the complex is secured by two entrance points in the North and in the South. The lane network of the park zones defines the structural intention and makes the skeleton of the green areas. On one hand, it performs purely utilitarian functions – binding the single areas in a whole and also an aesthetic function - structuring all areas in order to percept all areas in a definite order. One main lane, 2,40 m and 4,00 m respectively wide, is designed in the pedestrian area by following the configuration of the zones and changes its circulation axis with small square areas. The both widths are defined by the local pedestrian load. In parallel with the lane there is an axis for platforms, 1,00 m wide. The secondary connections give more playfulness and a character to the lawns. When choosing pavements the leading factor is the circulation intensity and the maximum decorative and ergonomic effect. Three main types of pavements are designed for all the subzones of the pedestrian area– the gray concrete 40/40/4 cm slabs prevail, which we chose due to the lane shape. The second type of pavement is made of gray gneiss split slabs, which we use to give purity of lines at typical locations and 10-12сm granite paving blocks, which build the skeleton of areas with platforms and for accent. The support walls are made of gray gneiss. We use concrete in the two wavy lanes in order to stress the shape while in the Art zone we use it as a background of the sculptural structure. The wooden stage of the amphitheatre is a centre of a whole space that is why chose to use wood for planking – a light type and authenticity on the stage.
STRUCTURE OF TREE AND BUSH GROUPS
Trees and bushes are the main structural material of the landscape architect when shaping the park areas. Going through a constant daily and hourly modification – plants give movement, character and life to the landscape. The formation of open, semi-open and covered areas gives dynamics to various types of views and also sheltering architectural areas and relaxation nooks. On one hand vegetation plays the role of a background, stating a definite architectural, sculptural or a water like effect - at the Art zone, at the architectural complex and at the coffee lounges at the VIP club. On the other hand – sound isolating effect beside the borders with plots, a wind protection factor and the phytoncide ability of the vegetation to provide a good micro climate.
The tree bush vegetation is selected upon the high decorative characteristics and colouring during different seasons – florescence and autumn hues.
The following principles were used to shape the areas:
• Unity of structure and provision of own appearance of the areas,
• Regular tree planting in order to secure a structural rhythm and shading in hot summer days,
• Succession of open and close areas to achieve a maximum pleasant and multifarious relaxation environment,
• Plant barrier shaping together with the neighbouring plots by green fences and stripes of taller bushes,
• Use of suitable types to secure a safe zone for children,
• Shading of the technical facilities like switchgears and others, support walls by spreading types,
• Use of bosquet forms in shaping the Japanese garden at the VIP club,
• Placing the vegetation in tiers and creation of near and distant views,
• Creation of high decorative groups,
• Use of the White Park Theme in more representative areas where white plants with white florescence prevail as well as greyish leaf plants and white coloured fruit plants.